House near slips

Stickers and Slips – What do I do?

Dramatic flooding in Auckland and surrounding areas in late January and early February 2023 has led to extensive property damage with some properties being stickered and having to deal with slips and landslides.  Joanna Pidgeon provides an outline of legal rights and obligations to Catherine Masters of One Roof (read it here in full).

Council has been placing red, yellow and white stickers on damaged buildings which indicate the degree of damage and whether buildings may be accessed. If your property has been stickered, notify your insurer and do not take any repair action without contacting your insurer first, and follow the rules according to the sticker which should set out what you can or can’t do.  Stickering is different in different council areas

If your property has been damaged (or you think it may become damaged due to a potential slip) you should also contact your insurer immediately. EQC covers flood and storm damage on defined areas of residential land, where there’s a current private insurance policy for the home, which includes fire insurance (most do).  From 30 June 2021, if you have a current private insurance policy for your home, you’ll have a single point of contact and be able to lodge your EQCover claim directly through your private insurer. The landowner’s private insurer will assess, manage, and settle the entire claim – including the EQCover portion of a claim  on behalf of Toka Tū Ake EQC.